One of my most memorable cases was a defense case which involved a hospital sued for elder abuse and neglect because of pressure ulcer development. My opinion was that the nursing standards of care (SOC) were satisfied, and the pressure ulcer was unavoidable because of the patient’s comorbidities.
With the COVID-19 pandemic many parents are fantasizing about sending their children and spouses off to camp for the duration of the pandemic. I myself am thinking about starting a new camp and I’m calling it Camp Buck-Up! This camp will be for all the people out there who have to be told to “buck-up” on a regular basis. This includes more than just the people who continually forget their responsibilities (I forgot the attorney needed the report yesterday), the whiners (You really need that report Monday?) and the complainers (Writing this report was a pain).
In our lives there are many seasons, and with each season there is opportunity to passionately pursue our purpose. From the moment I was asked (while in the second grade) what I wanted to do when I grew up, I said I was going to be a nurse.
If you’re seeking more joy in your life (Who isn’t in these times?) you need go no further than Psalm 51 which says, “Create a clean heart in me, put me into a new and constant spirit.”
I get a lot of email. Fortunately, I’m blessed to be the recipient of professional emails 99% of the time. But the other 1% is what I want to talk about in this blog.
Referral is by far the best and fastest way to gain new attorney-clients and more cases for your legal nurse consulting business. Referral is not a gift. Referral business is something you have to earn. It is the result of providing excellent work product and excellent service.
This past year many of you have shared that you’re officially wiped out by the COVID-19 pandemic. I hope that you’re not so defeated that you’re now having to resort to “Dry January.”
In 1982 I faced the reality that I was unhappy with the direction my nursing career was taking. It wasn’t easy after putting hard work into becoming an RN, earning my bachelor’s degree, my master’s degree and working six years in the hospital, to find I was extremely disappointed by the career choice I had made. I’d gone in wide-eyed, thinking I could make a difference, even improve the state of healthcare, only to bump up against the reality that no matter how hard I worked, my efforts would never make a dent, much less an impact. I was also moving far too slowly toward financial success, and I was forgetting what it was like to have fun.
My career as a legal nurse consultant began more than 17 years ago. I was working at a hospital as a geriatric clinical nurse specialist and wound care consultant. In the fall of 2003, a defense attorney contacted me and requested that I review medical records for a hospital.
Most of us are happy to have 2020 behind us. That said, I hope your new year is off to a joyful and productive start. Thankfully COVID-19 vaccines are on our horizons and we can all look forward to a new year that looks much different than the one we’ve left behind. I for one am looking forward to hugging friends and family and travelling again.