The 2015 National Alliance of Certified Legal Nurse Consultants (NACLNC) Conference will be here before we know it and you’re probably already booking your excursions and planning all the fun things you want to do in the exciting port cities. We’ll be on the Adventure of the Seas for eight fun-filled days and we’ll be departing from the exotic and historic port of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Here’s a list of 13 fun things every CLNC® consultant should fit in before the cruise ends.
- Stroll Down the Royal Promenade. You’ll find exciting duty-free shopping for jewelry, art and clothing. Or you can sit back, spend your money on a cold one and watch the parades pass by. My favorite is to people watch – believe me, you’ll get an eyeful!
- Spice Up Your Life (Or Not)! Learn to savor fine wines in a wine class or take a salsa lesson or two. Tom’s still recovering from our hip hop lessons on the 2013 NACLNC Conference Cruise, but that won’t stop us from taking a wine tasting class. LOL! There’s so much to offer beyond the great NACLNC education sessions, you’ll wonder where the days went. If all of this sounds like too much fun, you can always take a load off your feet and rest in one of the comfy chairs in the Library & Card Room. With its respectable selection of books, it’s the perfect secret hideout.
- Rock Your World. If you’ve never tried rock-climbing at sea, the professionals on the Adventure will belay you and help you accomplish something to tell your kids or grandkids about. And the rest of us will have some funny videos of you hanging upside down to put on YouTube. They call this ship the Adventure for a reason!
- Roll with the Waves. Rollerblading is fun by itself, but rollerblading at sea is one heck of a unique experience! Take a spin on the track or just watch the fun. The last time I skated was in high school but you never know, I might be tempted especially if they’ve got roller-hockey.
- Exercise Your Rights to Relax! With all of the activities like basketball, ice-skating and mini-golf your cabin mates may never see you. When you’re ready to exercise your rights to relax, join me resting on one of the many deck chairs and we’ll soak up some sunlight and maybe even a tropical drink together!
- Jazz Up Your Nights. The Blue Moon Jazz Club way up on top of the ship has the best views of the sea – night or day. It’s a great place to take in a sunset or sunrise plus the music’s good too. This is one of my favorite spots to watch the sunrise, especially with a cup of healthy green tea! Sunsets are spectacular, and there’s one free at the end of every day. This year I’d like to hear how many Certified Legal Nurse Consultants make the triple header. If you haven’t tried it, you have to get up early for the sunrise, pack in the sunset and then stay out late enough (or early enough) for one more sunrise. I can’t wait to see the photos on Facebook…
- Stroll in the Moonlight. Speaking of being out late or early (and you will be if you’re hanging with your CLNC peers) head to the fantail and check out how bright the moonlight and stars are over the wake. Being out on deck at night and seeing the shore or harbor lights while approaching an island or port is especially fun.
- Soak Your Sore Muscles. Search out any of the hot tubs onboard the Adventure. They’re a great place to give yourself a break after overexerting yourself on the rock-climbing wall or in the gym. If you want to get away from it all, instead of sharing that hot tub with 300 new friends, enjoy a quiet soak in the Solarium (a child-free zone) which has its own pools and hot tubs. Go ahead, sneak off by yourself – you deserve a little quiet time.
- Indulge Yourself. Treat yourself to any one of over 100 treatments or just get a massage at the Vitality SpaSM. There’s even acupuncture available for the brave. I’ve heard the hot rock massages are wonderful. If that sounds too much like wellness, we can all meet up at Johnny Rockets for burgers, fries and shakes. One place you are guaranteed NOT to find me (this cruise) is the Connoisseur Club cigar bar – never again. I’m just sayin’
- Explore a Strange and Exotic Port. Starting in San Juan and visiting Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas, Basseterre on St. Kitts, Oranjestad on Aruba and Willemstad on Curacao we’ll have plenty of time to see new sights, make new friends and taste new tropical drinks. Did I mention there are NACLNC education sessions too?
- Disconnect (Temporarily). The wireless Internet has been upgraded across the entire ship. So buy a wireless Internet pass once you get onboard to avoid international roaming charges on your laptop, tablet or smart phone. Just remember to put your tablet and/or phone in “airplane mode” so as not to incur expensive international calling rates. If you’re planning on phoning home, check with your carrier before you do to ensure you know what you’re getting into. Like I say, the Internet really does follow you everywhere!
- Plan Your Drinking in Advance. We are nurses and we need caffeine! Soda (Who are we kidding?) and wine bills can add up quickly onboard, especially if you’re traveling with your spouse. You can save yourself enough money to pay for that Apple® MacBook® Air if you purchase your all-you-can-drink soda or wine plans before or after you board. You can even buy a bottled water package in advance too. Pricing varies, so visit Royal Caribbean’s Pre-Cruise Planner for pricing and tequila options (just kidding – maybe).
- Join Us for the Exclusive NACLNC Networking Events. To live up to our theme of Hammocks, High Seas & CLNCs we have lots of special events planned for you. Your family and cabin mates are invited to ALL of the NACLNC networking functions. Look for me, your CLNC colleagues and the pirate flags. We can’t wait either!
- Sunday, March 1 from 7:15-8:15pm – MANDATORY NACLNC Conference Registration. Go to Studio B on Deck 3 to sign in. Get registered early because the NACLNC Welcome Reception starts right at 7:30pm and you can’t get your free tropical drinks if you haven’t signed in!
- Sunday, March 1 from 7:30-8:30pm – NACLNC Welcome Reception is right there in Studio B on Deck 3 where Registration is. This is the official kick-off of our 8-day cruise and what better way to get in the right spirit than with free tropical drinks and spicy food!
- Every evening at 8:30pm – NACLNC Networking Dinners. Join us in the Main Dining Room for late-seating dinner. We have a special section just for CLNC consultants, your guests and families. To make the most out of this unique opportunity, be sure to sit with someone new every evening. Nothing’s better than networking over dessert, especially if it’s on fire!
- Monday, March 2, 7:30-8:15pm – Captain’s Welcome Aboard Reception. And it’s formal night, so put on your tux, formal, little black dress or just something extra fancy and strut down the Royal Promenade in style. You can get your photo taken with the Captain and head to the 8:30pm NACLNC Networking Dinner! After dinner we’re off for some serious table-time in the ship’s casino or a formal moonlight stroll. I’m having a hard time choosing between that romantic stroll and the craps table. I know what Tom’s choice will be – what about yours?
- Wednesday, March 4 at 7:00pm – CLNC Night at the Theater. After a fun day of NACLNC education sessions we return to the Lyric Theater on Deck 4 for another thrilling performance.
- Thursday, March 5 at 7:00pm – Ice Show. We return to Studio B on Deck 3 for one of my favorites, the Ice Show. I’m always amazed how talented professional ice skaters are. Maybe this year they’ll ask for volunteers for the spinning routines. If you don’t come you’ll never know. See you there!
- Saturday, March 7 from 7:30-8:30pm – Private NACLNC Farewell Reception. It’s our last trip to Studio B on Deck 3. It’s also especially hard to believe, but our time together has to end and there’s no better way than with cocktails and snacks. Come raise a glass and toast to your fellow CLNC colleagues.
Since I know you’re not on the 2015 NACLNC Conference Cruise for just the Hammocks, High Seas & CLNCs, we have also planned two days of premier NACLNC education sessions for you. Yes, that means you do have to come to class to get new strategies for your legal nurse consulting business, but we’ve scheduled them when we’re at sea so you won’t miss a single port city. Get your CLNC legs ready and CLNC you onboard!
I’m Just Cruisin’
P.S. Comment and share your fun ideas for the 2015 National Alliance of Certified Legal Nurse Consultants Conference Cruise.
P.P.S. If you are joining me on the cruise, watch for an email from me on February 9, 2015 which will give you the link to the Conference textbook. Then on February 12, 2015, you’ll receive very important announcements which you’ll want to read and print before you depart for the cruise. Next, on February 19, 2015 you’ll receive final important instructions.
P.P.P.S. Just a reminder to make sure you (and everyone in your party) have passports. You’ll need them to get on the ship and back into the states when we return. Like I always say, if you don’t look like your passport picture now, don’t despair, you will by the end of our time together!