For 35 years I’ve been very blessed to consult with successful trial attorneys who I like and respect. Along the way I’ve run across a toad or two.
I recently mentored a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant who astutely recognized that she was “in bed” with a toad. My advice: “Get out and get out fast.” When you’re in bed with the wrong person, attorney or otherwise, there’s a price to pay. At first, it may feel like a favorite Disney experience, “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride,” but the more you hang around toads, the less fun it becomes.
Here are 5 warning signals that you may be consulting with an attorney-toad:
- The attorney calls you the week before trial instead of when he first gets the case.
- The attorney expects you to get the work product to him “yesterday” and then sits on it.
- The attorney asks your opinion, but refuses to listen to it anyway.
- The attorney expects you to communicate with his paralegal instead of him.
- The attorney slow-pays your invoices.
Integrity always has the final say. Let integrity be your uncompromising guide in determining which attorneys you do, and don’t do, business with. Let integrity determine how you conduct yourself and your legal nurse consulting business. Choose correctly and your CLNC® success will be enduring and authentic.
Choose incorrectly and, let’s just say, you’ll spend the rest of your life kissing toads, instead of working with the Prince Charmings.
Success Is Yours!
P.S. Comment and share additional signs of toads.