A new Certified Legal Nurse Consultant should never be intimidated or embarrassed to talk about her CLNC® business. The most successful CLNC consultants are the first to say, “I tell everyone about what I do. It is not a secret or something to hide.”
Like them, tell everyone you know how you have refocused your nursing career. It’s okay to act as your own spokesperson. Always introduce yourself as a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant. People will ask what that is, giving you the perfect opening to describe in vivid detail your CLNC services and how you benefit attorneys on their medical-related cases.
Create 10-, 20- and 30-second versions of your self-introduction. Practice until they flow fast and smooth. Use them everywhere – at the bank, the grocery checkout line, the elevator, the car wash, the doctor’s office – anytime you meet anyone. Your self-introduction is a free and valuable marketing tool, as influential as your brochure or business card. It’s worth investing your time to make your introduction the best it can be.
To jazz up your self-introduction, remember these five rules:
- Make it memorable. Tell what you do in an interesting way that hooks the listener. Create it like a story with a beginning, middle and end.
- Keep it short. A 10-second introduction should be a quick 25 words. If you have 20 or 30 seconds to introduce yourself, drop in an attention-getting lead sentence or surprising example, anecdote or statistic. Examples include:
“I help attorneys win cases.”
“I decipher and translate medical jargon.”
“I’m an attorney’s secret weapon.”
- Express genuine interest in your listener even as you promote yourself. Focus on the benefits to the listener, e.g. how he can look like a hero when he passes your name on to an attorney.
- Avoid technical jargon. Be creative. Clearly state what you do and describe the market you serve in thought-provoking, yet familiar, commonplace words.
- Practice, practice, practice. The best self-introductions are carefully worded to be easily spoken and quickly understood. Your introduction should become so natural that it rolls casually off the tongue every time you are within three feet of someone.
Together let’s shout out to the world about Certified Legal Nurse Consultants – who we are and what we do. After all, everyone benefits (not just attorneys) from knowing what CLNC consultants can do for the legal profession.
I’m Just Sayin’
P.S. Comment and share a self-introduction that has worked for you.