Mistakes and failures are great for teaching Certified Legal Nurse Consultants what not to do – they help us to grow and learn. However, mistakes don’t always help us discover what works. You could move from one mistake to the next and never identify the success formula to make your business prosper or overcome a specific issue or challenge. After 39 years in business, I’ve learned to study my successes at least as closely as I study my failures. Success promotes success. The more you succeed, the more you will succeed.
Apply this formula for becoming a student of your own successes to easily launch or grow your business as a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant.
- Identify an achievement or success, either business or personal. Draw inspiration from a situation in which you feared failure but didn’t let fear stop you, and you embraced courage instead. Whenever I tackle a challenging project, I remind myself of my past successes to help me step up to the new challenge with confidence. For example, once I had stepped out of an airplane at 14,000 feet to skydive, stepping into an interview with an attorney wasn’t nearly so scary.
- Break down the elements of that past success and examine the courage that motivated you to succeed. Focus on what you did and the steps you took that made the difference. Capture your state of mind at each step. I’ve hiked along the rim of active volcanoes and Himalayan mountain switchbacks. Keeping track of the correct steps and staying focused made all the difference in the world to getting to the final goal.
- Identify the best practices from that previous success that might help you launch or grow your legal nurse consulting business. Just because you are venturing into your new CLNC® career doesn’t mean you should forget all you learned in the past. Remember the nursing education process in which we learn, then demonstrate. Re-demonstrate the successes you’ve learned in the past.
- Identify a specific business challenge that can benefit from these best practices. It can be as simple as making a phone call to an attorney-prospect or practicing questions and responses for an upcoming interview with an attorney.
- Apply the best practices to the relevant legal nurse consulting challenge or objective. You’ve done it before. You can do it again!
- Continue doing what you do well as a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant to create bigger and better successes. If you can consult with one attorney, you can consult with two. If you can consult with two attorneys, you can consult with four. Soon success will become second nature.
- To accelerate your growth exponentially, surround yourself with successful people and learn from their successes. Hang with the biggest winners, not the biggest losers. You’ll have more fun and learn and achieve more too!
- Celebrate and reward yourself for your successes. Have a celebratory goal, whether it’s a good (or cheap) wine, a massage, a new iPhone or a weekend vacation. Use rewards as goals to spur you to even more success.
As an RN you have countless successes. You handle emergencies as easily as making the bed in the morning. You make split second decisions that are the difference between life and death for your patient. If you can do all of these things, you can do something as straightforward as becoming a legal nurse consultant.
Any time you are challenged to grow or succeed, give your past successes an encore. Relive the applause. Every time you encore a small success, the applause sets you on fire and your next success becomes easier. Remember, We Are Nurses and We Can Do Anything!®
Success Is Yours,
Vickie L. Milazzo, RN, MSN, JD
P.S. Comment and share one of your successes that deserves an encore.