“The Institute’s legal nurse consultant programs are the only complete and relevant programs with the knowledge and wisdom from the experts that I can’t get elsewhere.”
– Kathy Figueira
What You Need To Get Certified as a Legal Nurse Consultant
An RN interested in becoming a legal nurse consultant must have an active RN license and legal nurse consultant training. It is recommended that an RN avoid a modified paralegal program with a few legal nurse consulting classes added in. A BSN is not required. See 3 CLNC® Certification Systems below for a detailed description of the three legal nurse consultant programs offered by Vickie Milazzo Institute.
An important recommendation for choosing a legal nurse consultant program is to choose a program offered by an accredited provider of continuing nursing education through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Vickie Milazzo Institute is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by ANCC – the only legal nurse consultant education company to hold this honor.
3 CLNC® Certification Systems
Basic CLNC Certification System
- CLNC Online Video Certification Program
The CLNC Online Video Certification Program includes 40 hours of video, so you’ll feel like you’re in a live classroom with Vickie Milazzo. You can take the program on your computer, tablet or phone. Best of all, you study at your own pace, 24/7 at whatever time works best for you. We know that registered nurses are all over the map with shifts, family, travel, etc. That’s why we’ve made it as simple as possible – study when you choose.
To accomplish this in just 40 hours, we only teach you what is relevant to your role as a CLNC consultant. You have busy lives and we respect that fact. You already bring your nursing experience to the legal nurse consultant program. We teach you how to take your experience and translate that into what attorneys need to win cases (whether plaintiff or defense). We won’t bog you down with unrelated topics such as legal research and writing that you’ll never be required to do as a legal nurse.
Each online video module includes review questions you complete after the module. These review questions help prepare you for the CLNC Certification Examination. The review questions also help to ensure you’re absorbing the content and give you immediate feedback on the areas you’re mastering (or may need to review again).
- Core Curriculum for Legal Nurse Consulting® Textbook
The Core Curriculum is the first and most complete course of study for legal nurse consultants. There are 17 Modules which compose the body of knowledge you must master to practice in the legal nurse consulting industry:
- The Role of the Certified Legal Nurse Consultant
- The Litigation Process
- Theories of Liability and Defenses Used in Medical-Related Cases
- Anatomy of Personal Injury, Products Liability, Toxic Tort and Workers’ Compensation Cases
- How to Screen Medical-Related Cases Effectively and Efficiently
- Comprehensive Case Evaluation Strategies and Report Writing Techniques
- How to Research Medical-Related Cases
- Standards of Care
- Helping Attorneys with Discovery
- Helping Attorneys Develop Demonstrative Evidence
- The Role of the Nurse as a Testifying Expert
- Locating and Working with Testifying Experts
- How to Formulate and Negotiate Contracts
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Developing a Marketing Strategy
- Successful Interview Strategies
- Business Development Principles
As you can see from the modules listed above, the CLNC Certification Program focuses on two assets critical to your success as a CLNC Consultant: the ability to analyze cases and the ability to manage a legal nurse business.
- CLNC Certification Exam
When you finish the CLNC Online Video Certification Program and all of the review questions, you’ll be fully prepared to take the CLNC Certification Examination. Just like the course, the CLNC Certification Examination is fully accessible through your computer, tablet or phone. Best of all, you schedule the time and date you want to take it. This means you can take it at your convenience and when you feel most prepared.
Once you’re certified, you’re eligible to use the CLNC Certification Mark. The CLNC Certification Mark is a registered certification mark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and owned solely by Vickie Milazzo Institute. When you pass your CLNC Certification Examination, you become a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant and may use the CLNC Certification Mark. Registered nurses who have not achieved certification through the Institute or whose certification has expired or has been revoked are not authorized to use the CLNC Certification Mark or the title Certified Legal Nurse Consultant. This is a mark of quality, widely recognized by attorneys nationwide.
- CLNC Marketing Center
The CLNC Marketing Center makes marketing your legal nurse consulting business easier than ever. You can launch your business immediately with brochures, business cards, personalized stationary and more – all designed by professional writers and graphic designers. This is the most cost-effective way to obtain professional marketing materials custom designed for Certified Legal Nurse Consultants – you can’t do it yourself better or for less. You simply select the design, then brand and customize the promotional pieces with your business information and you’re ready to go!
The CLNC Marketing Center also includes:
- Promotional items for attorney-prospects (and favorite attorney-clients). These include calendars, sticky notes, coffee (or healthy green tea) mugs and much, much more.
- CLNC Exhibiting banners to help you stand out when you exhibit at legal conferences.
- CLNC Wear which is an inexpensive way to get strangers to ask and talk about what you do as a CLNC consultant. You’ll find t-shirts, hoodies, hats, polos and more. Outfit your children and family and you’ll never want for a Christmas or birthday gift again!
- Free Mentoring
Vickie Milazzo Institute wants you to succeed. The relationship between you and Vickie Milazzo Institute actually intensifies after you obtain your CLNC Certification. For one year from the date of your purchase you qualify for mentoring from some of the most successful, full-time practicing CLNC consultants and Vickie Milazzo herself. You receive real-life (not theoretical) advice from legal nurse consultants who’ve been there and done it. The CLNC mentors help you avoid the mistakes we’ve all made and mentoring ensures that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel with each attorney or new legal nurse consultant job. We also help keep you on track and make you accountable to your own success.
Based on the CLNC Certification System you purchase you’ll receive the following mentoring benefits:
- Basic CLNC Certification System – One mentoring request/month for one year from date of purchase.
- Executive CLNC Certification System – Two mentoring requests/month for one year from date of purchase.
- VIP CLNC Certification System – Unlimited mentoring for one year from date of purchase.
The mentoring from the CLNC Mentors and me is everyone’s favorite benefit and the feature in all CLNC Certification Systems that will help you the most in your CLNC business.
- Listing in the NACLNC® Online Directory
As a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant you’ll receive a free listing in the NACLNC Online Directory which is accessible to more than 1.8 million attorneys nationwide 24/7. As the largest directory of legal nurse consultants, attorneys find you by location or nursing specialty, then call or email you instantly and privately. You can also access thousands of other CLNC consultants, searchable by state or nursing specialty.
- NACLNC Association Membership Benefits
As a CLNC consultant you’ll automatically become a member of the National Alliance of Certified Legal Nurse Consultants (NACLNC), the first and largest legal nurse consultant association with thousands of members across the United States. This gives you instant access to a network of thousands of professional CLNC consultants for subcontracting or locating and hiring expert witnesses.
You’ll also have exclusive access to:
- Advanced Educational Webinars to stay up-to-date on the latest in legal nurse consulting.
- Attorney Interview Questions which will help you prepare to interview with poise and confidence.
- The NACLNC Association Membership Seal which gives you instant recognition to attorneys and communicates that you are credible. All NACLNC members can use the downloadable NACLNC member seal for their email signatures and websites. The NACLNC membership seal signifies that you have completed training and certification as a legal nurse consultant and are a member in good standing with the NACLNC association.
- Business Forms and Templates developed specifically for NACLNC members. They will save you hours and headaches by guiding you through the case review process. These printable forms include: screening forms for medical-malpractice and other types of cases, report templates to ease report writing, chronological timelines, invoicing templates and more!
- NACLNC Online Video Apprenticeship
With the NACLNC Online Video Apprenticeship you focus on the two issues most beginners struggle with – report writing and marketing.
In the Report Writing Apprenticeship you’ll master report writing and write sample reports to show attorney-prospects. One of the best ways to start an interview with an attorney is “Let me show you what I can do for you.” Showing is always better than telling.
In the Marketing Apprenticeship you’ll develop your 90-day marketing plan with nine vital marketing strategies. Every successful legal nurse consultant starts with one attorney and one case. To get your first case, you have to market. That’s why the Marketing Apprenticeship is so valuable. You’ll develop your unique selling position (USP), which will distinguish you in the mind of the attorney-prospect. And since you’ll be marketing to a variety of attorneys you’ll also learn how to customize your USP for different types of attorneys.
In the Marketing Apprenticeship you’ll also create:
- An elevator speech, which is a brief statement you’ll use to spark interest in what you do as a legal nurse consultant.
- Letters of Introduction – you learn how to develop a compelling introduction designed to catch the attorney’s attention.
By developing a 90-day marketing plan and mastering the principles of positioning yourself with attorneys you’ll quickly be on your way to CLNC success.
- 75 Advanced CLNC Practice-Building Programs
The Advanced CLNC Practice-Building Programs include 75 advanced sessions on different types of legal nurse consulting cases and specialty practices. This library of 75 audio recordings and accompanying texts cover just about every possible legal nurse consulting topic. You’ll learn time-tested strategies used by other Certified Legal Nurse Consultants that you can adapt for your own legal nurse consulting business.
- 79 Medical-Related Case Reports
Study these 79 reports like you would the Core Curriculum for Legal Nurse Consulting textbook. They’re all actual reports from real cases submitted to attorneys. You’ll accelerate your learning process for writing reports by understanding how successful CLNC consultants analyze and process issues, and communicate with attorneys.
- 11 Contracts for Your CLNC Business
The CLNC Business Contracts are downloadable draft contracts that will to save you thousands of dollars in attorneys’ fees. You can put these to work immediately in your CLNC business. You’ll receive 11 customizable contracts templates and a comprehensive textbook on contracts to help explain the nuances. These will help you present yourself professionally with your attorney-clients.
Executive CLNC Certification System
The Executive CLNC Certification System contains everything included in the Basic CLNC Certification System and mentoring twice a month for one year from date of purchase, PLUS:
VIP CLNC Certification System
The VIP CLNC Certification System is our most comprehensive. It contains everything in the Basic and Executive CLNC Certification Systems and unlimited mentoring for one year from the date of purchase (Yes, we really mean UNLIMITED!), PLUS:
This explains the different resources in each of the Institute’s CLNC Certification Systems. Now that you have the facts, you can make a decision about which route you will take when choosing a legal nurse consultant program.
Read this Special Report Before You Choose
This report addresses the facts any nurse should consider when choosing a legal nurse consultant program and certification. The NACLNC Association compiled this data from successful Certified Legal Nurse Consultants who are members of the NACLNC Association to help you assess the most credible legal nurse consultant program and certification.
Special Comparison Report on Legal Nurse Consultant Programs Prepared by the National Alliance of Certified Legal Nurse Consultants (NACLNC®)
Vickie Milazzo Institute CLNC® Certification Program
|Taught by the Pioneer of Legal Nurse Consulting||Marginally Qualified Teachers|
|The First and Most Credible National Certification||Low-Quality Imitation|
|The Proven Expert for 36 Years||Lack Pioneer’s Expertise|
|FREE Mentoring from Vickie and Certified Legal Nurse Consultants||No Free Mentoring|
|30-Day 100% Risk-Free Guarantee||Limited or No Guarantee|
|24/7 Marketing of Your CLNC Business by the Institute||No Marketing of Your Legal Nurse Consulting Business|
|FREE NACLNC Association Membership|
|The Most Documented Successful Graduates||Scant Evidence of Success|
|Business Training by an Inc. Top 10 Entrepreneur||Lack Business Expertise|
|The Most Cost-Effective Training||Little Value for Your Money|
|The Leader in Legal Nurse Consulting Research Development||No Research|
The Official Certification of the National Alliance of Certified Legal Nurse Consultants
The CLNC Certification Program is the most sought after legal nurse consulting program thanks to the many satisfied and successful CLNC graduates. Compare the differences. Look carefully at what you’re getting for your money before, during and after the program. Be cautious; cheap training by unqualified people isn’t cheap at all. Consider the qualifications and credentials of the trainer and the support you will receive when you need it the most – after you complete your training and are ready to start your CLNC career.
Vickie L. Milazzo, RN, MSN, JD
The Pioneer of Legal Nurse Consulting